Skip to main content

Cleaning my Contacts

Fortunately I still see well.  So it is not about the insipid chore of rinsing little glass contacts with special formulaic liquids that I was involved with over the weekend. 

Rather updating the lifeline device aka Cellular Phone after having bestowed a new one by my telco (that is slang for telecommunications service provider).  There are contacts contained therein and it had been a long time since any cleaning had been undertaken.  So in the spirit of all things anew for Spring I decided to spring for some spring cleaning of the cell phone contact list.  Hence the title.

So as I embarked on this activity, which I found cathartic.  It constituted of the following -

1.  Deleting some meaningless contact written using shorthand that I use to save a number when I get a call from someone I think I might be interested in following up, only to realize that it was an optimistic attempt at doing so.

2.  Data became Information - Editing contacts to have legible format so someone's name spelled right like - Venugopal instead of VN San Jose to remind the tired noggin that I ran into VN in San Jose during an assignment - and updating this person's actual whereabouts to say Chicago land rather than guess which time zone he may be by googling the area code... too much work - so nipped that in the bud and made it a fully readable piece of information.

3. Adding new contacts that may be on pieces of paper but which may be seriously useful like my child's pediatrician's specifics.

So a good few hours spent to get the cellular house in order.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...