Skip to main content

Where are you from?

Not in an existential type of way but it is probably the third or fourth question I get asked in a social or work setting when I run into someone I have not met before.

So I thought about the blog I recently penned around 'identity' and it hit me that people are always trying to figure out a social connection when they ask this question.  Sometimes it appears they are reaching even if there is none. 

The 'where' in the question is really about 'who', as in who are you?  Can I feel comfortable around you?  Are you someone I could trust (if it is a long term deal they are looking at)?  Can I perhaps leverage our new formed relation to parlay for something else?

I suppose its natural to some more than others to probe thusly.  It is a matter of what their social upbringing has taught them.  It might well set the stage of how someone perceives you from that point forward.

I often think of various possible responses that may include -
  • I am from the ghetto (as a minority in a land that is foreign)
  • I am from a legacy of brilliant minds that once occupied a seat at the king's table in ancient India
  • I am from all over
  • I am a citizen of the world
Of course this question is responded to differently depending on which part of the world I find myself in and who the askor of the said question itself is.

In America there is also a phrase oft heard - knowing where he was coming from.  To me it first sounded like an intruder tiptoeing into a venue where the occupant was bound to react suddenly.

But that phrase merely attempts to define the source of someone's comment or question.  Much like where does the Nile come from?  Or, where does the chick come from?

Now that you know where I am coming from perhaps you can go away and do something more fruitful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...