Disclosures:
1. I cannot remember the last time I spent money on a product or service due to its advertising impact (exclusive or marginal).
2. I am not most people in that I am brand agnostic.
Most people must succumb to the constant barrage of advertising that surrounds them not unlike the captives that come to sympathize with their kidnapper during a long ordeal. This is perhaps the trick that large and small brands use in today's brand crowded marketplace to move their wares.
If you really think hard you realize that 99.9 % of stuff sold on this planet is a commodity. There is a lot of it and it can be bought and sold at any time of day through multiple channels. So stand out in the insane crowd major corporations to small businesses spend serious change on making a smarter (or so they think) megaphone to yell the loudest. Be it by way of outdoor (ads that adorn variety of billboards to urinals) to print to airtime on radio and TV and the internet. Then there is the pop ups that adorn all manners of electronic interaction services from game consoles or game interfaces to the fast expanding social networking websites.
The fact that people tend to use these nuggets of wisdom to influence their buying behavior must tell us one thing - either people are seriously affected in their duramatter or the corporations that peddle their goods are wasting good money. The truth most likely is somewhere in the middle - that is a safe way of saying no one really knows.
Think of the cliches in modern advertising and you will see why I say what I say -
1. Zero to Sixty in 3 seconds - really? I mean unless I was buying the next fleet for the Indy 500 or Nascar 800 how does this gem of intelligence coerce me to do anything?
2. Kills 99.99% of germs - ahem - only those that you counted (or could count) you dolt. If this was true then how come all the kids in my child's class still take home the sniffling and occassional stomach bug every winter? Given all the moms that drive up to pick their ward are boasting your product like a prize catch in their car dashboard?
3. 64 acres of pristine beachfront - really? Am I going to stay at this resort or develop a golf course? I am not sure if hectares would make it more attractive to the next idiot walking off the street?
4. Blazing fast 89G - first it sounded like a new space capsule that would hurtle me out of this moronic rock - but wait its nothing as dramatic - its merely the local phone company's newest offering allowing uninterrupted wallet draining feature to yak away with my facebook friends of whom I now have 8,999 of them thanks in part to my 89G connections..
5. Winner of 26 Dufus awards - substitute dufus with JD Powers or any other Powers that be - now you really need to buy this contraption since it is 24x7; peels on its own; makes coffee and also wipes your butt when you are done with using it....and now its only 9.99 for a limited time of 895 days. Oh and did we say its a limited edition (we are making north of just under a million)?
Now I wonder if Caterpillar ads call a Spade a Spade?
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
Ha, ha. I can hear the ad/brand managers of corporations ordering their hit squads...where can they find you?
ReplyDelete