Skip to main content

Oral Dental Mental shut down

Am feeling sleepy.  Why?  I just got my mouth cleaned.  How?  Well it is the twice annual event called 'Dental Cleaning' aka a professional mouth cleaner enters my oral cavity with tools and performs a thorough scrub a dub that takes 45 min.

After all the pounding and drilling and scratching my head hurts to the point where I feel very woozy.  Hence the sleepy comment.

So what is this amazing exercise I speak of you ask?   Let me explain it as follows:

I call it 'The Mandibular Show'.  My cleaning lady aka dental hygienist is called Mandi and I am not kidding.  She really is.  And she cleans the inside of my jaws.  Aka my gum and teeth.  Twice annually.  I come out presumably with a winning smile once I am awake.  So back to explaining the process.

1. Arrive at appointed hour at dentist office and grab one of many chairs and pretend to read some idiotic magazine till they call you in.

2.  Arrive at the reclining chair for the episode titled - dental cleaning.   Smile if you can and make idiotic small talk about my kid and the cleaning lady's kid(s) - if I remember if she had kids ... sometimes I forget.

3. Then wear a purple paper towel called a bib around your neck and put on a star trekkish goggle on your face to avoid your optical rods and cones from being burned by the bright light attached to the reclining chair.

4. Recline and stare at the cleaning lady putting on gloves and start gathering threatening instruments that are about to make an appearance close to tender oral parts.

5.  A sharp pointy tool is poked along the gum line to check the depth of creeping decay in my gums.  And some numeric notations are made on a computer in the back somewhere.

5.  Bright light comes on and the hum of the suction machine (to drain away all fluid from the oral cavity during servicing) begins.  Soon the ear piercing whine of the compressed water jet kicks in.

6. Stage 1 -  the water jet is projected into all the crevices amidst my well laid out teeth to dislodge detritus from the Chinese Chow Mein with grilled shrimp (that is what I ate before coming).  The water is under high pressure and pulsing and is directed at the gum line till I feel like my entire skull is going to explode.

7.  Once said activity concludes and suction pipe has sucked my lungs out (leaves my mouth feeling downright arid) she (my cleaner) calmly suggests that I wipe my face with the purple towel round my neck.  Apparently some blood spattered out?  Who knows.

8.  Stage 2 - Next  we proceed to the phase where she uses another sharp implement and scores my teeth to get plaque out while constantly admonishing me how I need to get better at flossing and using tools and accoutrements that help with keeping a good dental setup.   What?

9.  Am I supposed to process the words coming out of her mask while trying to practice Vipassana so I can be far removed from the current plight?  This is atrocious.  Can she keep her thoughts to herself?  I wonder.

10.  Stage 3 - She has decided to show me how a floss is to be used and goes ahead and does this activity (I'm sure there is a math formula or factorial to figure this) on number of gaps between available teeth.

11.  That done she actually proceeds to brush my teeth for me.  This clown never learned anything or some such thought that she does not voice loudly.

12.  Then we are done.  Or so I thought.  But wait.  What about blasting this nice mouth with some X -rays she asks?  It has been a while we exposed you to cancerous rays artificially and purposely aimed at your tender parts.  I decline.  I also decline an expert examination to be performed by somebody with a DDS degree.  I need to get out before I completely collapse.

13.  I walk out trying to get my bearing and figuring out what my name is and realize I need to get back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...