Skip to main content

About that Haircut..

So as promised towards the end of my prior discourse I promptly went in search of new material to blog about.  That came in the form of my visit to the barber.

I believe it says Salon on the neon, in funky script somewhere over the door.  Hey but who cares - its the cheapest mowing facility available in town.  Run by a 5' dude from Vietnam who we shall call Mr. K.  That itself should be fundoo enough to fill pages.

So it is.  First of all there are a plethora of half ass partially ripped signs on all walls indicating the cost of an adult haircut with a 30% premium for those wanting to use plastic to pay him instead of paper.

Then comes the ATM machine next to the signage but next to the till.  This availability at the point of sale yields some nice commissions to Mr. K from the daft folks that walk in with nothing in their pocket except their ATM card.

I walked in on a weekday morning knowing that this is a sure fire way to be in n out in under 10 minutes.  I do that when changing oil (in the car that is).  Never spend more time in these places than absolutely required.

So there he was sweeping away with a contraption similar to one I have seen in India but much more ergonomically designed to yield more output.  A bigger fan like fibre base to sweep with a tall handle so one does not have to bend where it hurts.  Sweep, sweep he went - collecting the top shelf droppings of the prior customer.

I asked if I could perch to get the business underway.  Gimme 1 minit.  I agreed  - told him to take two.  I was in a good mood.  I had just finished changing oil on my conveyance earlier in record time.  The optimizer gods were smiling on me.

Then in the promised minute he called me to take my seat on the spinner.  All chairs can spin at the barber shop.  Easy access and egress.   I wish all chairs everywhere were like that.  Look in any direction that fancies you and get out any which way you want.  Of course with a firm hand he plants you facing the mirror while going about the trimming.

Once settled with my recycled plastic cape and a formal priest collar taped around my carotid he asked how I would like it cut.

I provided the blade number (primarily aimed at losing a lot of the growth in shortest time in the chair) and pondered his next move.  Off he went to switch the trimming tool to the setting I prefer while starting to sing song with his female partner who was tending to another Desi Skull that belonged to the female species.   I had not seen them - they were in the back in the dark. 

If you ever hear two Viets speaking it sounds something like a hitherto non defined string instrument that is in the process of being tested for treble for the first time.  Twing Tang Bong Yack Yack Mong Ming Dank Fink....and over again this time Funk Fink Dooong Twing Tsk Tsk.

Somehow its quite soothing because I am used to it and conveys a sense of order and predictability that my hair are being fashioned off in the right way.  Had he been silent I would worry if he was paying any attention or brooding and might slice me.

And so this goes on for the first minute or so until she releases her customer for a while and saunters into my field of vision.  She wants some tools from the drawer in front of me (no not from my drawers in case you are getting ideas).

Now I must say that the female of the species that hails from the Viet arena are petite and quite fetching to ogle at - compared to the male of that region for sure.  So with mild interest I start my ogling (as best one can when a high speed scissor is hovering in close proximity to your left ear) when Mr. K decidedly pushes my head down to take a close look at the back of my scalp.

The sing song yack yack continues for another minute as he finishes cleaning me up and pulls out the oval mirror to display the skills he has exhibited at the back of my neck line.  Receiving my default approval - what am I going to say - oh you missed that fur growth on the big wart that looks like a melon?) he proceeds to remove my cape and gives a knowing smile.  He knows I pay cash - exact change at that so no margin for squeezing margin.

As I am leaving I ask him about his broom - Did you get that from Vietnam?  (as if thinking - now he is going to laugh me out by telling me its from Zambia).  Instead points me to a corner bucket holding a bunch like a flower pot - proudly proclaiming - MADE IN VIETNAM - $6 each.

All this cross sell and up sell -  from a marginally educated, barely bilingual, third world dude.  Where there is a will there is a cut.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New England is gleaming in the fall

 This autumn the weather gods cooperated as we took a family trip in the northeast to see six states that qualify or makeup what is known colloquially in America as New England. Mass, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island (tiniest state in the union). The outing helped tally up the states we either lived in, visited or have worked in to 47. Guess which three have eluded this intrepid traveling family. Any rate the drive was all in about 1,800 miles and included some memorable geographic wonders or points of interest.  Easternmost part of state of Massachusetts being one.  Furthest drivable road east in Mass being another. Visit to all Ivy League schools (term harkens to a collegiate athletics conference and generally regarded as elite academic institutes of some repute worldwide) is another random bucket list item of which this trip afforded the chance to knock two more of the list.  Dartmouth in Hanover, NH and Brown (and its sister institute the RISD  - school f

Searching for a lavish 'fill in the blank with other adjectives and gender' in bed

 Many of the readers of this blog have experienced this. Strange sounding messages popping up in your text or WA or emails all day long from some exotic sounding locale with an out of this world individual looking for love, sex, money or other paraphernalia to get a high. I mean granted that electronic spamming is a low cost enterprise and all but the sheer volumes and the variety in these exhortations is beyond imagination. Having a desire to engage you in some sort of sexual payola or invest in some arcane crypto scheme must be a profound algorithm that someone from Oklahoma to Odessa is cranking on through the night and watching one in a few million fall for. Otherwise this nonsense would not exist I suspect. It would be funny to watch the lifecycle of some such persona that creates said content and that of a prospect for this invite becoming an unwilling or willing participant. Then that whole thing could go on some social channel and earn likes and subscriptions for someone else a

Lakeside frivolities

 We moved to the Charlotte area not knowing where exactly our new home would be. Turns out it was by a popular lake formed by the damming of the Catawba river which flows north to south in the Carolinas. Local electricity generation utility built a series of dams along the waterway for hydro and couple nuclear plants as well to supply the state grid.  The lake our house butts into is Lake Wylie. While tract home build has picked up in the Carolinas the developer often carves out parcels that they can get their hands on leaving behind privately owned lots that the individual owner may not want to sell. Our house is part of a subdivision but backs into actual lake front yardage that has always been part of legacy family owned properties who chose to build a cabin or getaway and did not sell to a corporation wanting to build in the hundreds. As such we can see the water through the year but it does not afford actual water access.  That privilege is to our neighbors who still maintain thei