Skip to main content

Cut short

Before I left India I decided to get some much needed trimming done - of the hairy kind.  With that in mind I visited a modest establishment in Pune area in the midst of a middle class neighborhood.
As I approached the shop it looked dark.  Inside.  But it was 3 in the afternoon.  So I pushed ahead and knocked on the door.  It swung open to reveal a man lying prone on a bench with a kerchief tied around his forehead.

He promptly swung his legs down and indicated he was open for business.  Okay then.  I figured there would be light.  There was not.  He chose to operate in some sort of mood lighting that was the waning sun barely making it into the close quarters - inspite of all the reflective surfaces in front.

So what is it going to be was his obvious question.  I told him I like it as short as possible with a pair of scissors and comb.  I did not see modern electric blades that my American barber would use.  He said he was going to start with an electric trimmer so I let him.

Bzzzz Bzzzz he started.  I asked that the fan be turned on.  It was only 100 degree F in the neighborhood and the AC vents did not seem like they had spewed out any air in a decade.  He turned on a slow moving ceiling unit.  Bzzz Bzzz as more hair made its way to the ground I started to doze.

Then I heard it.  Silence.  The buzzing had stopped.  Curiously I cracked an eye open to see if he had left me there.  Not quite.  He was nonchalantly staring at the tool he held half way stuck on the left side of the skull and between a Pan Chew indicated that we had lost power.  Power cut.

Power cut in the middle of a hair cut.  You cannot make this crap up.  It is India.

So now what.  I was sporting a unique hair cut at this point so I guess I could have walked around like that or come back for half the service later?

No - he mutely picked up another tool powered by a battery and proceeded to finish my remaining hirsute half.  All done he looked admiringly at his artwork and prompted me to comment on his effort.

I looked askance - never a big fan of looking at the back of my own head - to ensure my side burns were not burned beyond recognition.  They were not.  Then I ran a hand over my stubble and decided to go deluxe - Barber - go ahead and shave me.  He did with a one blade razor - it was magnificent.

Total damage $4.  Blog worthy material - priceless!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...