Skip to main content

Stop Swearing

I mean Swearing In..

Every time a new leader is elected by a sovereign state or democracy or dictatorship for that matter there follows the drama of swearing in the new leader.

That they had been (swearing) before elections and will have ample opportunity to do so later is lost in this ritual established by some loser years ago.

I mean think about it - what is this Swearing In for?  It is as inane as the person in a courtroom being asked to swear to tell the truth with a hand on a Bible or Bhagvad Gita if the scene unfolds in India.

Dude - at least ask what sort of published document the swearee would like to swear on... don't assume.

So about this swearing - in I mean - what are we swearing out of to be swearing in?  And by doing so what exactly are we achieveing?  Why is it a ceremony?

Why do people even attend it?  Do they not have better things to do than listen to the swearee say that he swears to do such and such?   I say go do it and stop swearing.   Similar argument about Oaths.  I mean who takes an Oath?

Do people even know what the word Oath means?  I do not see it in much use in common conversation.  Do you?

If you take an oath can you give it away?  If you take it where does it go?  Do you hang on to it for dear life?

Who tracks all the taken oaths and their final disbursements?  That is what I want to know.  I swear!

Comments

  1. I can give you an everyday application. By God, I swear I'll never read this guy's blog again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-swearing in absence of a physical publication to rest your paw on whilst oathing does not count

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...