Said Einstein.
No it was Shakespeare I think but then again what does it matter. I guess a lot since I discovered having a short name is always a plus - especially if you tangle with any call center support (you need that to discover how to turn on that bluetooth you just got - not from rinsing with mouthwash but to wirelessly yak with humanity).
Otherwise my friends with certain highly prized first and last names hailing from the south of the Indian peninsula have to budget 15 minutes to establish their identity using the spelling of their names...those converstaions go something like -
Mie name is Ravichandrashekhar Venkatachari Bhatiprollu - R as in Robert, A as in Apple ....you can simply imagine that the person on the other end has asked for a bathroom break after the thrid occurence of the A in the first name and its not even close to being done. Then middle and then last name...is this guy or gal in Phillipines going to last that long? After which comes the whole argument about how the telephone bill has some wrongly billed minutes when the connection did not even go through and uncle Arvind was upset I had hung up on him.
Having wished the curse of customer service through telephones on ourselves, we find that there are many such nuances that work against the desire to seek quick help. I still find that talking to people at times is easier than dealing with voice prompted automatons that some large businesses employ (airlines who do not really want to deal with any human are notorious) where they clearly do not get the emotional aspect of how upset you really are and want a throat to strangle.
Some banks in the US got that message and have switched to live operators manning the switchboard 24 hours a day. And this really leaves a mark in terms of service rendered. Hence that name becomes tops in customer quality. I savor these relations.
So name your poison.
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
I would blame the aggressive (automated) CRM vendors for the mess. Let the buyers (of these) beware- I forget the Latin phrase for this. QED.
ReplyDelete