Of naming things and people and places - I have encountered some interesting ones in the past few decades - or at least in near term memory that I remember and wanted to jot down -
A guy named Supreme.
Another named Xerxes. These were both of desi origin.
Another named Min (this was a gent of Chinese origins) and of course another named Max (origins unknown). Many more that I have stopped trying to spell.
A restaurant named Chemmeen in the US - I actually took it on myself to interview the woner and phind out more about it - its Prawns in Malayalam.
A car named Juke (it did make me want to Puke) and one named Venza.
A place called WHY and another called Nong Ping. Can you guess Where?
Food called Uni, Ahi and Saba (all of which are my favorites) along with some Nori to go with sticky 'L'ice.
Greeting that translates to cut and eat in certain Indian language but sounds melodious in Thailand - 'Kapuna kha' or thank you.
A place called Point Pelee - which could translate in Indian languages to Yellow or Drunk - there could well be drunk individuals on the yellow grains of beach sand as it happens to be the southernmost point of mainland Canada sticking out into lake Erie (pronouned Eerie).
Certainly chilling in light of the one next to it being called Superior.
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
I ran into a lady with Polite as her last name. No kidding. Indian.
ReplyDelete