Skip to main content

Nutrition and Health

As I munched on a fresh Jalepeno bagel with Almond/Honey cream cheese this morning for breakfast I got to thinking how my own nutrition intake profile (yes I just coined new jargon to add to the cloud) and that of countless migrants to the US has changed with time.

What I was enjoying was a wonderful opera of taste in my mouth but I was not quite paying any attention to the calorifus horriblus aspect of this meal.  I suspect there is a downside to downing rich gooey stuff to kick off the day? 

If living (dead weight has odd connotation so let us stay away for now) mass measurements were taken and I do have a record for the last 20 or so years then substantial increases have been evident.  Contributing factors were improving living standards and a propensity for travel and love of food.

The calorie mix and volume ratcheted upward during an age when ideally you want to start monitoring your intake or else you lose control on the exhaust.

But oh well - given I find the whole art of medicine just that - more art than science - I tend to ignore all the nutritional value warning labels at my own peril.

After all someone did coin some great maxims like - Eat, Drink, Be Merry or Early Bird gets the Worm (I mean that is a good protein diet if you wake up early) et al.

Then there are those that have taken heed to their doctor's recommendations and introduced planned and repetitive physical activity to address some of the possible ailments of a growing trunk.

Indeed the ills of a well to do society tend to manifest itself in the form of people walking in one place on moving rubber belts.  Some even use them to shake their belly fat (belts that is) in the hope it will magically disappear.

Some have resorted to texting about their amazing feat of walking in place to another candidate that may yet be in bed in another time zone.  This instant expression through variety of electronic devices has put a huge strain on the technical infrastrucuture.

So much so that we must address the demand now or risk not having to eat as much in the future.

Comments

  1. I remember reading wise things like- whales would be thin if exercise reduced weight, and so on..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...