It's proven beyond doubt in my mind that the human species is not the superior form of life on the planet. No one other than mankind still kills its fellow beings for reasons of emotional anguish. Or spite or chemically induced instability. Or financial and economic issues. Individual killing individual or a mass genocide, we are the only ones pursuing this style of survival.
Other animals including birds and dolphins and salmon are taking immense pains to simply ensure survival of their species. They do so by performing amazing feats in travel planning and execution covering continents in their annual migrations.
Ants and multitudes of insects build amazingly eco friendly colonies for inclement weather and all without resorting to man made silliness like higher education and subsequent student loans.
With all our so called advancement and improved life expectancies there are bunch of us worried about after life and other abstract ideas like heaven and hell.
So curious that I am I decided to investigate how one could get a sneak peek at either. After checking with Sergey at Google to see if he had any lat long or address to destination to key in my GPS and finding he did not I set out in a pensive mood. After dozing off a few minutes stuck in traffic I woke to find myself staring at nothing and hearing silence.
Walking around I realized I had stumbled into heaven. There was nobody there. Miles of white light and nothing else. Apparently the most pious amongst us had also failed the drug test to get in.
Finally I see this red sign glowing in the distance. I approach cautiously toward it and all it says in bold red letters is an arrow pointing right and the letters 'GO TO HELL'.
I press the sign and next thing I know I am staring at the red light in front of my car - on Earth.
Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry. Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while. Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...
Welcome back. I would have missed you, if you had stayed on.
ReplyDelete