Skip to main content

Idle chit chat

I am noticing that I am losing patience with people.  Fast.  Last night we were at our kid's friends house waiting to pick up the child when a cold gust began blowing.  It is mid June in the northern hemisphere and it was late in the evening.  The occasion was the daughter was celebrating her birthday and is a friend of our offspring.

Among the waiting attendees were parents of their respective wards.  Most of Indian origin.  One dad remarked on some sort of derived analysis about the weather.  Idle chit chat is all.  I am not sure what to make of this anymore.  His comment while profoundly vague was frankly immaterial.  This planet will do whatever the heck it wants to do much to the chagrin of all the arrogant know it alls.  But in retrospect it was merely a way to make small talk.

I for some reason found that irritating.  Then another dude walked in to pick up his kid and instantly made a sweeping comment that all the previously standing desis must be in the IT sector.  I pointedly corrected him that I was not.   Again he might have made some vague attempt to interject himself in an otherwise bleak evening.  But to me it was a profoundly biased and pointless statement.

I need to start thinking about the 'moun wrat' aka vow of silence approach again.  Not to say much unless my life depended on it.  I do not need to counter someone's point of view simply because I think it is wrong.  Or a source of irritation however big or small.  If it does not threaten my existence (e.g. a jackass motorcycle rider causing a near collision on the highway due to their erratic driving)  I should be able to completely ignore the chaos around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back in DC

This time for a tech conference in the realm of what else? AI. But applied to an oft neglected space called Knowledge Management. The latter is a community of practice that focuses on analyzing, organizing and making available reams of data that have been gathered over time by various functions within an organization for anyone in the company to utilize. This function or process is ripe for applying AI agents (or agentic AI framework) and optimize for better outcomes. It was informative. More rewarding was getting acquainted with folks who practice this craft as well as learning of what they see in the corporate or public sectors. Since the venue was Washington DC it also afforded me the chance to take evening strolls albeit the weather was trying. With wind chill in the single digit it still is a glamorous place to perambulate through history absorbing what this country has been through since its founding days. I was able to visit the place Lincoln was killed along with his monument t...

Costa Rica

 Our first foray into Central America. That elongated isthmus that forms the geographic boundary between two vast continents of North and South America. Specifically landing for NYE 2026 in San Jose, Costa Rica. Capital city for this region that does not have its own army, instead relying on its big bro the Estados Unidos to the north is a metropolis of approx. 500K people. Largely wilderness and with both a Pacific and Carribean/Atlantic coast the country is rich in bio diversity. In Spanish it means the rich coast so named by Columbus landing in early 16th century and being mesmerized by the local tribes sporting gold jewelry.   Our stay included visiting the foothills of a large strato volcano called Arenal and enjoying the naturally heated thermal baths for a while.  Lunching amidst lush forest and watching indigenous species of avian noise makers fly overhead. Toucans, some sort of pea hens, multiple song bird species completed the spectacle. Iguanas and a lonel...

Charges attract

It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together.  But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die.  The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS:  I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...