I am not sure if there is any connection with these two things but I just realized some oddly interesting facts -
The largest beverage maker is run by a man of Muslim faith - Muhtar Kent with a Turkish heritage is COKE CEO while the second largest company Pepsi is run by a Hindu -Indra Nooyi who is of Indian heritage.
Both run soda companies that make products which appeal to global tastes but both companies are American.
Changes like that are happening in many big American corporations with the appointment of another Indian born chief to head the operations of Citigroup worldwide. Mastercard too happens to be run by a Sikh of Indian origin.
Then there is talk of the venerable institution called Berkshire Hathaway which might find a new leader who happens to be a Jain from India. One of his cousins it appears already runs a large German bank.
I think what this trend underlines is that hard work and a bunch of lucky accidents do pay off big regardless of religion, faith, alignments, age and gender.
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
By a coincidence, Muhtar's name came up in a meeting with Coke's VP at IMT Ghaziabad last week, because I think he is visiting India soon. I have been off soft drinks for a while now, but I think Americans may have severe withdrawal symptoms if they do that! Just my guess.
ReplyDeleteBeing off soft drinks is not a hard choice given the availability of hard drinks that are soft on the budget stateside..I have stuck to the potent stuff with an occasional beer thrown in to mix things up
ReplyDelete