I am in the market to look at new automobiles since one of the family's trusted 'go to' appliance is going to be medically unfit soon. So as primarily an appliance that gets the job of conveying the occupier this should be a matter of evaluating what is in the market and running a quick check of needs vs. cost and selecting the winner. Lastly ensuring adequate funds to complete the transaction.
But wait. It is not quite that simple. First it begins with the most hideous of tasks. That of engaging in non sensical banter with the car dealers. These folk can be entertaining if you go in with the right frame of mind. They start by asking a redundant question as you step in - so what brings you in?
I like to think of answers that range from - wanted to barbeque in your showroom to getting my gall bladder removed. Obviously such a response might get you shown the door so we press on. Then comes the - what are you thinking of driving? I can easily offer a response specifically geared towards my objective and say - I want to test drive a Honda CRV or some such. If you have not done the homework you can be there for days.
Once we identify the vehicle in question the dealer who tries to buddy up to you then goes and looks for the appropriate keys to activate this vehicle. During this exercise they photocopy your Driver License. In case you turn out to be a serial killer and run away with their car on your next job. Considering that the sales guy actually accompanies you is mind boggling. They typically know less than the person trying to make the purchase but will offer unsolicited commentary about the latest disappearing roof anyway. All I want is for the sales person to disappear.
As we run the machine on the highway they take the opportunity to boast how powerful the engine is - I have heard the same exuberance from a sales person selling a 500 HP engine and a 200 HP engine. Granted they are both adequately powerful isn't there a scale to contain enthusiasm?
AFter the 4 min adventure of sitting on a plastic encsconced seat and driving round the block (I often want to get my groceries while testing a car but have not yet managed to wiggle that) come the inane 'what do you think' series of questions.
At this time I am still thinking of what I am going to think about my latest drive so stay tuned readers (and Mr Sales Person)!
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
They are only forcing you to think...can't blame them for that..
ReplyDelete