I admit I am old fashioned. I still have a pile of DVDs that I own and on occasion find time to dig out what I got and pop one in to revisit.
This one is a decade old movie called 'Finding Forrester' starring Sean Connery as a cranky, reclusive Pulitzer prize winning author that lives in the Bronx. He discovers raw talent (played by Rob Brown - in real life is also talent that was literally discovered by accident) in the form of a black basketball playing kid on the street corner who he secretly observes from his study every day.
The kid can write. He has an unusual ability to put words together that convey immense emotion through compelling writing. Connery's character finds this when he happens on some drafts that Jamal (Brown) has written in his notebooks.
Its a story of a teacher and student, about friendship and integrity, about not giving up even in the winter of your life (this phrase is plagiarized from the movie) and discovering what all life has to offer.
Amazing story (longish film) through the use of amazing cast and camera work is worth watching (again).
It is said that opposites attract meaning people with contrary viewpoint sometimes find chemistry to be together. But I'm referring to a modern twist where people are merely attracted towards a common place because their uber communication device aka smart phone is about to die. The charging station. From airports to hotel lobbies or even bathrooms, when in need they are attracted to this power outlet like moths to a flame or a junkie to a needle. A whole new business of supplying these hyper connected folks is now born whose lifesaver product is a backup charge. Asian tourists perpetually carry a phone sized battery pack stuck to their latest Apple phone updating their status to folks in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Bangalore as they pose for selfies with weird facial expressions and fingers pointed out in a letter V. Vain? PS: I dis'charged' my blogger duties making this insightful observation as my phone is about to breathe it's last and my flight gets call...
Will see it one day..
ReplyDelete